10 pieces of ox tail
2 onions cut into large pieces – divided into two portions
2 carrots cut into medium pieces or 2 cups baby carrots
1 large peeled russet potato cut into 8 pieces
salt to taste
1. Boil ox tail and one portion of onions in large pot with water up to ¾ full.
2. Turn heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 5 hours or until meat is tender. Cook for more time for fall-off-the-bone, less time for chewy meat.
3. Periodically turn heat to low and using a ladle, skim the scum (brown bits that come off the meat) and discard. Remember to turn heat back to medium low and cover.
4. In last half hour (when ox tail meat starts to come off the bone), add the carrots, potato, and second portion of onions.
5. Season with salt to taste.